One great piece of marriage advice came from a 70+ year old woman who had been married close to fifty years. She advised me along with a group of church planter's wives to, "lay our husbands on the alter before the Lord." She meant for us to commit to the Lord to not hold our husbands back from anything Christ has called them to do. She warned that it will involve many sacrifices as she had spent many weeks raising her children on her own while her husband was away. She assured that there would be financial sacrifices involved. Yet, she reminded us that the stretching process will bring growth & joy in the Lord.
Later that afternoon I committed before the Lord & Scott to support and encourage him in anything that the Lord was leading him to do. When I stand before our precious Lord one day, I want to be able to say I released Scott to be used for His Kingdom and to be able to witness the fruit of this decision. I am encouraged, challenged, and grateful for women who have done this and are doing this now, whether it be husbands serving abroad, traveling, or any other circumstance God has called them to. I believe we will all see the eternal purpose one day and that the Kingdom will benefit.
I write this now with a thankful and joyful heart to the Lord who takes such good care of me. When surrendering Scott to the Lord (letting go of what was truly His in the first place) I worried about his safety, the lonely nights ahead, the potential strain on our relationship, and being all alone in this great big city. Yet, I have experienced quite the contrary. I have come to understand deeper the quality of God as my Father who takes care of his daughter. He has put us in an apartment where I feel secure being alone. We have been blessed by meeting some wonderful and trustworthy people I know I can call if ever needed. The nights that Scott are away remind me that God is using us for His purposes and I am blessed to be a part of it.

Another beautiful post. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete