The other day, I was reading through some old entries in our family prayer journal. I was reminded of the faithfulness of Christ and how He has not only provided, but blessed us tremendously in the journey from Texas to Chicago.
Our entry from October 30, 2009: (Almost a year before we moved)
- Praying our house will sell that we can move to Chicago from Denton to plant His church.
- That God will provide us with jobs that we enjoy as well as have opportunities to meet many people in the community.
- That God will provide us with an apartment in Wicker Park that has 1) enough room for us to be hospitable to others 2) affordable rent 3) that we could use it to love on people 4) comfortable/safe environment
- That God would reveal to us a certain place in the world that as a church, we will invest our time, energy, and resources.
How He answered:
- The Lord did not answer our prayer in our time table or how we expected (go figure). Yet, His timing was absolutely perfect! We were able to spend a year living close to our family as we all adjusted to the idea of Scott and I moving away. It definitely helped better prepare my heart and our families for the big move. Also, Scott had an amazing opportunity to be mentored by pastors, some from all over the world, which in turn has completely shaped the vision & DNA of our church. Lastly, we were unexpectedly stretched financially by complications in selling our house, which led us to become even more depended on Christ and increased our faith. Thank you Lord for your perfect timing.
- Within two weeks of moving, God provided me a job at Childtime Learning Center working with precious two-year-olds! Not only did he provide a job, but one that I really enjoy doing as I invest in children and families! He also provided Scott with many opportunities to get involved in our community through the dog park, Wicker Park Advisory Council, the garden club, and volunteering at Prizker school. Thank you Lord for giving us a vision for our lives here.
- We drove from Texas to Chicago without ever stepping foot into the apartment we would call our home. When we walked in, we knew it was more than we could ever ask for. It is a great place for hosting large crowds (we get to have our Wednesday night Village here & other activities). I am also so thankful that I feel very safe & comfortable when I am alone and Scott is traveling. Thank you Lord for providing us with a place to live that is everything we asked for and more!
- The Lord did reveal a place for us to invest in as a church: Palestine. God has already provided a way for Scott to go once, and we are now making plans to go back as a group. Thank you Lord for showing us where you want us to invest!
As I think back over the course of this year, I am so incredible thankful. Christ is the great provider and promises to provide for all of his followers. Yet, I feel like Christ has not only provided but truly blessed us!
"If you, then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him." Matthew 7:11
No comments:
Post a Comment